Friday, January 21, 2005

When Black Friday Comes

I enjoy listening to a wide range of music. My taste really depends on my mood and what day it is. I do, however, usually listen to jazz, but I also like classic rock and classical music. The title for this blog is from a Steely Dan song. You should all listen to it; Steely Dan is a great band.

Moving along, I didn't wake up for observation this morning. I was extremely tired from rehersals last night (I went non-stop from 5:300 until 12:30). I'm not too worried about the consequences, but I enjoy being there and I might have had a chance to do something in one of the classes today. That means I missed an opportunity for growth. Oh well.

I'm really excited to play jazz again. I may be playing with a classmate of mine and a wonderful professor who wants to learn how to play some jazz. He's the epitome of the term life-time-learner. He is still going to classes in between his classes and practicing schedule. On top of that he wants to learn this new style of playing. He's mainly a classically trained pinaist, but he has an open mind that will hopefull help him learn quickly.

Personally, I feel as if my jazz chops have not been improving much. I have made leaps in overall bass playing, especially intonation. However, my soloing is not improving much and my bass lines are the same thing I have played since 10th grade. I'd like to start playing more and hopefully finding that love for playing jazz again. I often get frustrated becuase I've hit a wall and can't seem to break through it. It will happen eventually, but until then I'm extremely frustrated.



No comments: