Friday, November 18, 2005

Three words: Scared of Commitment

I've found that the one fear I face the most day in and day out is the fear of commitment. I doubt that I can make important decisions well; not to mention the unimportant ones as well. First, I haven't been quick to get "on the dating scene". My parents are beginning to get worried and, frankly, so am I. But why don't I do something? There are plenty of wonderful girls that I know who would be great candidates (please don't be offended by my use of the word cnadidate). And I'm sure at least one of them might go on a date with me if I asked them nicely. It's also not for lack of thinking about the subject; I think about it constantly. Some days I think, "Yeah I should take ____ to ____ that would fit well with their personality and it something we could conncect with." Other days, however, I think, "_____ is really beautiful, smart, funny etc. She has all the qualities I could want is a girl but if I got out with her my options are gone." This second thought is the one that happens just often enough to stop me from making any escisions whatsoever. I don't think I really fear rejection, I fear making a choice that I'll regret.
I have a dream where I ask this girl out; she's the one I've liked for many years but while we are on a date I meet someone (or even just see them) else who is perfect for me; she's the one." How can I make and important decision like this unless I am 100% certain she's the one. But wait... this is just one date. No obligations. Why am I attaching such significance to something so inherently trivial? So I should just ask _____ out on a date this weekend. But wait, shoudl I ask _____ instead. Is dating stupid? Once I've gone on one date where will we go next? Can I find enough ideas to keep her interested? See my train of thought?

It's enough to drive a person mad. So maybe I'll keep wainting until God nudges me in the back. He'll say, "she's the one" and that will be it.



Yeha right

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why not? God is pretty faithful. He'll hem you in to the right place. Psalm 139