Friday, November 04, 2005

A piece of Brain McLaren's genius

The acclaimed author of "A New Kind of Christian" and "Generous Orthodoxy" has a new book coming out called "The Secret Message of Jesus". If this new release is anything like his other books the writing will be refreshing yet challenging. Also, I think I know a little of what he may write about; it's recently been on my heart as well.

One of the clear messages coming from "Generous Orthodoxy" is that no denomination has it completely right. We all have our strong suits, but we need to search out the weaknesses and restore balance to our viewpoints. My main example is in the message of Jesus (this is where the new book advertisement fits in). I believe that, since Jesus was the son of God, he came for more than just a single reason. I hate the song "Above All" becuase it boils the eclectic and holistic ministry of Christ down to one act. This is far from the truth. Jesus came to be born, heal the sick, preach, die, and so much more. Even in the single act of dying he didn't think of me alone. The salvific act of Christ death offered us life here and hereafter. It also brought retoration to this planet. Jesus broguth salvation to man and creation and the world is in the process of being sanctified through Christ. I believe it is our christian duty to care about the planet and it's inhabitants becuase it is all being redeemed. God didn't send out an escape pod for some select human souls to board and find life later on. He promises life to the full now through his kingdom which is here now. This is a major part of the gospel that the Baptist tradition underemphasises. Evangelism, then, should be about loving others for the sake of furthering love. We want others to join us in our quest to rid the world of evil (which will only come when Jesus return but that doesn't mean we should work to better our situation now). I'm not saying sin and eternal salvation aren't important; they are just overemphasised in my personal tradition.

I'm not very eloquent so go check out McLaren's writings. He says it so succintly (and quotes scripture like I have failed to do).

No comments: