Saturday, November 12, 2005

I'm too busy wasting time

Everyday I race from one responsibility to another; band, orchestra, class, jazz band, practicum, homework, vespers, work, and more. it seems like most everyone I know has the same prayer request, "I'm really busy, my schedule is hectic." We schedule overbook our lives instead of leaving room for new possibilities. I read a number of books this summer and have seen many more I would like to read but I can't make the time for it and still retain my mental health (what little I have left). I think that free time should be included in our liberal arts programs; I need more time to find my hobbies, interests, etc. and work them out. But are we really coreced into this lifestyle? What would we really do with this free time?

Personally, I'm afraid of the resposiblity of free time. I don't want to make decisions; most likely I'd end up regreting them. I don't want the responsibility of free time. Could I make the choice of who to date (I don't have to think about that becuase I'm too busy) or what to read, practice, or do? What if I make the wrong choice?

Someday, however, I will have to step out and decide; I'll have to make a move and ,if it's the wrong one, pick myself back up.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think that a great offensive of the enemy is to get is to "overthink". When I say this I do not mean that we should think less, but merely that Satan knows that he cannot use pure logic to deceive us (for true logic will point to God), and so he likes to make a labryinth of our thoughts, leading us to dead ends and self-condemnation at every corner. A close friend of mine, during a period of both deep depression and also in the first few months she had become a Christian, struggled with the ability to make decisions. She would lay in bed in despair each day, because she was terrified of not making the right choice, of not listening to God correctly. She had to learn to not condemn herself for every mistake. "...forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead..."