Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Matter of Importance

When I was in gym class during middle school we played football. During that time I took command of a team, I called the plays and decided how to do things. Interestingly enough, we won all of our games. I made good decisions and we pulled out with and undefeated record. Wait; Hold the applause. I think that might have been one of my greatest mistakes I made in middle school and one of the biggest missed opportunities in my public school career.

My decisions would have been seen as good and justifiable by our cultures standard. But Christ was, I believe, unhappy with my performance. You see, the way I won those games was by using the two fastest kids in school. We ran the ball or did a short pass to those two every time and always gained yards. But what about all of the others kids. I short changed their experience and made them think I was a jerk all to win a few inconsequential games in P.E. I should have passed the ball around, given everyone a chanc, and then maybe I could have been christlike.

It's like this:
Christ stood up for the weak, he fought the strong, and loved the poor etc. (you get the idea). He would have also seen past that single month to realize the eternal potential in the situation. It was my chance to love some of my peers, show them who crhist is in me, and maybe impact them eternally. Instead I opted for a short-lived glory that was probably only in my head.

That month I had a lot of kids angry with me becuase I was selfish. Don't make my mistake (well, it's going to happen but watch for it, I'll try to as well). If you realize that loving others is more important that selfish gain. Then maybe, just maybe, you'll look a little more like Christ.

Matthew 22:39

No comments: