Saturday, January 21, 2006

It's so confusing

Two of my friends in the past month have been rejected by girls. That scares me. Also, its not like they just asked out of the blue; they were almost certain they were doing the right thing. But then it turned out the girl didn't really feel the way my friend thought she did; in both occasions they were shot down when all signs pointed to yes.

Things like this do not boost my confidence. I have to say that I'm slowly warming up to dating; watching movies like Garden State (like I did tonight) make me want to be in a relationship. I want to know someone well and really care about them. But then fear takes hold. How can I be certain of how a particular girl might feel? No offence meant by this but girls are very deceptive. Why is that? Do you not want to hurt our feelings so you lead us on hoping to delay the ineviable only to make the insuing pain worse? Please be honest.

Events have thrown me into a spin. My parents are giving me a lecture about how I should just pick someone and try it out instead of waiting for a sign that isn't going to appear. My female friends grow closer and simultaneously others grow farther away while I truly don't really "know" any girls at all which only helps foster my aprehension and fear of the opposite sex. I want simple answers where there aren't ones to be had so I'll probably sit here and think more until another semester passes dateless.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not an expert here, but I'm not sure calling girls deceptive is quite the way to go about getting a girlfriend. Hehe. Otherwise, I got nothing for you. Good luck exploring the infinite abyss.

Anonymous said...

You know, its exactly the same way for girls, except that our culture tends to encourage male action and female inaction, so you guys have extra pressure... or do you? What if we girls don't know the signals that we're sending any better than you think you know the signals you're receiving? And vice versa?

What if a girl isn't stupid or blindly romantic, but she just plain thinks you're great and realizes that she knows you so little that the only way to get to know you better would be something eerily similar to "dating," although she doesn't want either of you to have to deal with the pressure of that word? And yet she has no idea whether you realize she exists or not! What is she supposed to do? Wave a red flag? Post a message on your blog? What?

Life is not easy for us, either! I think its funny how your parents give you advice like that, though. Why not just find a girl who has no illusions about the first date meaning engagement, but rather just literally wants to spend time with you? Maybe she'll just be a good friend in the end. Hmmm?

Just hypothetically speaking.