Thursday, October 20, 2005

My frustration

I love to play, even perform. Good music get me moving, gets me thinking, or gets me... plain and simple. I find a voice in playing and I worship best when I have an instrument in my hand. That's why it hurts when the turn out for an important concert is poor. When you give yourself blisters by playing so hard and experience pain in an attempt to make music that will satisfy others. I want others to experience the joy I find in jazz; to drink in the ballad or tap their toes to a deep swing. Not only that, it hurts when I see professional musicians come to play for our campus and they recieve little support. Specifically, I am talking about the Mulligan Stew concert this past thursday. It angers me that everyone says they enjoy jazz when I talk to them but don't have the action to back it up. They miss a great oportunity to hear some great music, even support Bethel's attempt at the genre becuase, quite frankly, they procrastinated too long or simply don't care. Your fellow students work hard to make good music and, yes, we do it for our own enjoyment but we want others to be there to congratulate us and to experience it. It like the old saying "If a tree falls in the forest an no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?" We made quite a sound, but the majority of Bethel didn't hear it. I do admit that the few that heard it were thrilled, but I want a bigger group to show up. If the school can turn out thousands to a football game shurely they can turn out a few hundred for professional musicians gracing our presence. Personally, I hoped a contingent of my friends would be there (yes there were a few of you). I told many people but no one seemed interested enough to support me. It shows me that you really don't care about what I do (of course many could say the same about me and for that I apologize). I feel betrayed by my group that says they appreciate jazz (yeah facebook!). To take a line from Batman Begins "Iit's not who you are underneath but what You do that defines who you are."
I'm tired of seeing the same dwindling numbers of people attend music events at Bethel. We have high quality programs often for free but most people miss out becuase they don't want to "waste their time". It not a waste, you may enjoy the concert, but, more imporantly, it gives the music department your support. And when even the school administration doesn't care enough to advertise, attend, or fund music event (except for the moneymaking festival of christmas) we can use all the support we can get. I have something great I have devoted my life to and i'd like to share it with as many people as possible.

By the way This week;
Orchestra concert monday night
Jazz concert Friday
Parents Weekend concert saturday
all concerts start at 7:30

No comments: