Friday, October 07, 2005

Facebook quote study

So I have several quotes posted on facebook and I'd like to take a good look at one (or two or all) of them.

"Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them"
Henry David Thoreau


First some background: This famous quote is from his book, Walden, that recounts his experience living simply on the shores of Waldn pond. In the first chapter, titled economics (I think), he goes in depth on why he attempted to live as such. This quote occurs while he remarks on the way men live and how they are seemingly tied to their work, their land, and the accumulation of things. Now that I have given some background I'll tell you my take on the quote.

What does it mean to live... I mean really live. "suck out the marrow" and drink deeply from life. It is singing.
To go to the grave with your song still in you means that you never sang; you never told your story. I don't mean the song that was given to you; either by being told what to do or being brainwashed. I mean the song that you have developed through trials, the good times in a single word- experience.
Your experiences are unique, don't think for a moment that you are like anyone else. In fact, I believe we experience even mundane things subjectively. Our understanding of "It's warm outside" is subjective. Not just the extremes, I think that, if there was a point at which one MUST put on a sweater, everyone's point would be different so in turn everyone's expereince of temperature would be different. NOTHING IS OBJECTIVE (in the strictest sense).

We must, then, proclaim our sbjectivity in song; but most don't do that. We become attached to our jobs, our property, and, most of all, to what people think of us. (insert tangent here) I believe that we don't really know who we are. We let others tells us who we should be and believe that that is our genuine self. CAST OFF THIS DENIAL; become who you feel like being. Probe the depths of things and find your subjective beliefs and understaindings.

So what does it mean to "live lives of quiet desperation"? I think that deep down we know that there is a personal song to sing, but we deny ourselves this becuase it may be unclutured or different or maybe we are afraid of making a "mistake". Let me tell you; THIS SONG IS SUBJECTIVE, it's improvised, it's jazz. You aren't missing that leap of a major 7th, the major 7th isn't there. You decide what you want to sing becuase the only things you can sing, once you cast off the fake song made by others, is what is inside of you. But we are desperate to sing becuase we have not sung, it requires too much of us. We fear our real selves; are they attractive? are they funny? are they wise? It's seems like they couldn't be but we want these "desireable" traits so insdead of pursuing ourselves we pursue the ideal person. Suppressing our song, we hold back and wait for the right social cues.

But believe me, I don't sing either. What is my song? I don't know yet. Have I tried to sing it? Not often and only when I am by myself or when I'm writing. Let's try this together. One step at a time. Step one: find your starting pitch........

No comments: