Sunday, September 18, 2005

We've got spirit how about you!

It's depressing how anti-school sirit I am. I cringe at the sign of a campus event and avoid the homecoming cheer like the plague. Why don't I like school spirit? Maybe it stems from my aversion to people in high school who were full of spirit (since that's not the only thing they were full of it's not suprising I found them less than enjoyable to be around). Perhaps I simply believe that the energy produced with school spirit is contrived. I mean, does anyone really care about campus image that much or think our school is "the best"? Which leads me to perhaps the main reason for not being "spirit-filled"; It seems like even the worst schools have school spirit (which in and of itself is not bad). When schools get hyped up about school pride bad things can happen; violence, anger, wasting of time to learn dumb cheers.

Actually, now that I think about it, the main reason for not liking school pride is due to the condescensionthat accopanies it. We look down on those who don't like to participate (like me), the introverts are undesireable (me again), and we resort to a constant contest for who is the biggest school fan. We end up holding it over each other as a trophy. "I led the group in the cheer", or "I have been to every event" just push down those that either don't have time
or even those that can go but don't show their enthusiams as well as others.

That's why I am anit-school spirit.
Or maybe it's because......

1 comment:

Christop said...

It seems kind of like training for blind patriotism.