Monday, May 08, 2006

A semester in summary

As I look back at this semester in total I see a few recurring ideas that, I think, sum up my year. I think of Jazz, Disc Golf, and Depression (not the clinical kind).

Jazz has been in my life since high school, but never has it played such a prominent role. I have really begun to listen more and really try to understand what these musicians are saying. I love listening to "Live at the House of Tribes" and really grovving to their swing. I makes me really happy to hear a good groove and often I use it as a good pick-me-up when I'm feeling down.
I also began playing Parker's "Yardbird Suite" for my recital and really found a wealth of knowledge contained in it. It has grown my jazz voacbulary and helped me to undestand the harmonic structure of a bop solo (mainly it's helped me get away fro the bass player root bias). Lastly, I have lately been very stressedd out with all of the work and emotional ups and downs I have experienced this year. I have started really using jazz as a stress reliever; there's nothing like really diggin into the strings and laying down a bass line to work out the stress. I'm not sure what I wouould have done without jazz these last few weeks, it has really helped to keep me sane.

Disc golf has also been a big idea for this semster. My friends from home play it all the time and I love to simply play with them so I can spend to time reconnecting. I also like disc golf on its own and have begun wanting to play more often. I am appreciative of the times Doug and I have spent at Acorn just playing the course (I even appreciate that he gives me a hard time). I really see disc golf as a life long sport for me and that is a good thing.

Lastly, and most prominent, I have dealt with a long string of sadness. I don't really have any major problems in my life to speak of that would cause this sadness but I have felt perpetually down nonetheless. I think my problems mainly stem from thinking about relationships. I have never been in a dating relationship before; I matured very late in my high school career so the thought never passed my mind at the time. Now, having no experience, I am unsure of myself and end up handling any prospects in a vey immature fashion. If I have some interest in a girl, I avoid them like the plague. I fear their presence becuase I don't know how to react to the feelings I have. I fear they will find out a reject me so I avoid them so as to not risk it.
I have paryed quite a bit since the beginning of my sophomore year that God would make his will clear for me in this area of my life. I thought that he had recently done this so I pursued the possibility as I could. Of course, my pursuing looked very akward and most likely came across as either apathy or a lack of confidence (which it is). Now, I hear that women like a man with confidence; it shows they can support them and an any family they might raise so its a deisreable quality. So, it goes without saying that my "handling" of the situation probably didn't go well. In the end, I heard that a certian girl was not interested in a relationship and was not interested in me even if she were to want one.

So.....

You can hear my exictement plummet as what was once a state of perennial happiness became utter despondency (fun sentence eh?). I have been sad off and on becuase my I'm always plagued with doubt about my self regarding atractiveness, but that has now become a default sadness that has come across to everyone (Inlcuding Dr. t who noticed I looked tired today). I wanted to blame God for not coming through for me on this year plus prayer request and I wanted to blame the girl in question for being so shallow (she didn't like me becuase I'm akward). But in the end I need to dust myself off and try again. Except I have been without a major level of clarity like I had with this situation for a long time (I felt right about asking this girl out which is a feeling I haven;t had for anyone else all year and only rarely the year before) and I went through this torment (beleive me, pursuing a girl is a mixture of joy and torment the latter being more prevalent) only to be shot down without a chance. It makes me want to say "Life Sucks" or spew out expletives, or be angry at my rootmates for no reason (sorry Nathan). But since the year is mostly over I think I will avoid the subject for a while. If only I could get rid of this sadness.

Sorry for the typos but I don't feel like proffreading this whole thing.
By the way, happy Doug?

3 comments:

Cara said...

Wes, summer is almost here. That's what I keep telling myself. Even when I stay up until 2 am for 3 days in a row, not having fun and writing endless papers, or having to avoid my best friends just so I can concentrate. I really empathize with the sadness that you're experiencing, too, although mine more centers around my understanding of God. Not so much my relationship with Him, but my changing understanding of things like the Trinity, who Jesus is and was, and what it means to be made in the image of God. I don't think I understand anything anymore.

Oh, and of course that utter-frustration-with-all-men thing. Heh.

So, considering how awkward we both are, we should either hang out over the summer and be awkward together, or write a lot more on our blogs!

Anonymous said...

Can I just say a hearty "Amen!" to jazz being an escape! Jazz saved my life (and other people's) this year because it really is a wonderful stress reliever. Especially when I blow my brains out on bari :). For that 70 minutes I can forget about the stupid people in my life that are causing more "girl" drama than I ever wanted. This particular situation I'm in makes me hate being a girl. Guys are so much easier to get along with! I am used to having more guy friends than girl friends and I just love it.

And ya know, with me having so many guy friends, I hear about what you're going through a lot. I think pretty much every guy, no matter how cocky he may seem has gone through that at some point or another. And that certainly doesn't mean your doomed in the relationship world. John was shaking and stuttering when he asked me out, but I said yes anyway :). I think the right girl really won't care if you're nervous or awkward, she'll just be happy that you like her that much to make yourself go through that! It really all depends on God's plan for you and since God is good, His plan is good. So you'll be happy no matter what.

I hope that helps. It makes me sad to see you sad about this. I just hope you know that you're not alone. I actually like reading your blogs. I think you and I think alike. If you ever read mine (I only have two posts) they're really freakin depressing too. Wonder why it's so easy to just get it all out when you know millions of people could read it? That seems a little contradictory to us who don't let many people in doesn't it :).

Diggs said...

Wes... I am happy. Now if you comment on your other blog I just may be giddy enough to kiss you!