Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wine Tasting

Here's my first shot at wine writing:

Conquista
2007 Malbec
Mendoza, Argentina
al 13%
$7.99

Malbec is one of my favorite varieties and Argentina is an up and coming place to grow wine. They also grow Cabernet, Chardonnay, and many other varietals including the native white wine, Torrontes. Argentina is often a place to find a good QPR (quality/price ratio) and the literally the first place I look when buying wine for the week.
note: I opened this wine yesterday so this tasting is a day after opening. The first day was persenting well, but seemed a little closed on the nose and palate.

Color: Farily dark red. It gets thinner on the edges but you can tell this wine should have a decent amount of body

Nose: I get a very sweet smell on the nose that wasn't there yesterday. It reminds me of the old rasberry push pops. I'm thinking of those Flintstone ones we used to get every once in a while. That's really all I get, the smell is very round and shows no structure.

Taste: Bitter tannins really hit home right away. There are some fruity flavors and the rasberry on the nose comes through on the mouthfeel as well. The structure totally dissapears on the finish and it becomes round and then leaves you with just a bitter, acidic taste.

Overall: It's not too bad. I had a better reaction yesterday so it didn't hold up very well over a day. I can't complain for the price

No comments: